Sunday, July 1, 2012

North Island Thursday- Volcanism Day!

I dedicated this day to Volcanism.

To start out the day I visited Kairua Park- it just has random holes with steam coming out as well as lakes of mud, or just lakes with steam coming off- it also stinks- literally- I now know what brimstone is, and I would not want to scent candles with it.

On my way to rent a bike to get out to a volcanic valley I stopped by a Maori village- I will give them props for this- they have amazing carvings.

The Volcanic valley that I went to was called Waimangu- it says it is "The World's Youngest geothermal area." I am not sure how much of that I believe- but it was pretty cool.

It used to be the site of the famous (for NZ) Pink and White terraces, but those were destroyed by some geothermal action (the same action that made it the worlds youngest geothermal area I suppose). For a time there was a 1000 meter Geyser there, I think that is the largest is recorded history, but it fizzled out, leaving the valley as it is today.

I arrived back in town with ten minuter to spare to drop the bike off. That night I visited a cool night market where they closed off a street and filled it with vendors it was fun.












Fortunately there were no emergencies!
















Ash layers!


















A slip! (I think) Mass wasting at its best!